Maryland Truck Accident Attorney
A truck accident can change your life forever. If you’re injured in an motor vehicle crash, you could be rendered unable to work in your primary field either temporarily or permanently, resulting in lost wages and the question of how you’ll continue to support your family. In addition, you could incur pain and suffering, a reduction in your quality of life, or even the wrongful death of a family member as a result of a truck accident. Although no monetary sum could ever replace this type of loss, a licensed Maryland truck accident lawyer can examine every aspect of your case in order to secure the settlement you deserve. This will give you the financial security you need to best recover from your injuries and losses, and start rebuilding your life.
- How Injuries Determine Settlement Amounts in Maryland Truck Accident Suits
- Other Factors that Influence Maryland Truck Accident Settlement Awards
- Average Settlement Amounts in Maryland Truck Accident Lawsuits
How Injuries Determine Settlement Amounts in Maryland Truck Accident Suits
One of the most important factors that will be taken into account by both a trial jury and the insurance company of the defendant in a Maryland truck accident case is the nature of your injuries, including the specific injuries you suffered as a result of the crash and whether they’re permanent. Just some of the injuries that may lead to a large settlement include the following:
- Spinal cord injuries and other back injuries
- Bone fractures such as shoulder, hip and ankle fractures
- Head trauma including brain damage
- Herniated discs
- Any injury that requires surgery
These types of injuries typically result in the largest settlements because they can be confirmed through diagnostic testing administered by a health care provider. In the presence of a jury, your Maryland truck accident attorney will focus most heavily on these injuries in order to maximize the value of your award.
However, insurance companies will also attach value to soft tissue injuries and other injuries deemed more subjective, such as the following:
- Movement restrictions
- Anxiety and depression
- Visual disturbances
- Muscle spasms
Other Factors that Influence Maryland Truck Accident Settlement Awards
In addition to your injuries, a trial jury will look at several other factors to determine whether you win your truck accident case, as well as the size of the award you’ll receive as a result. Some of the factors commonly examined by Maryland juries include the following:
- The cause of the accident
- Any potential arguments that the defense attorney could make
- Your attorney’s ability to refute those arguments
- Whether or not any witnesses observed the accident as it occurred
- Whether those witnesses can be considered credible by the court
- Your ability to prove that your injuries resulted directly from the crash as opposed to a previous incident
- Whether alcohol or other intoxicants were involved in the truck accident
- The condition of the vehicles involved in the accident both before and after the crash
- The jury’s perception of your and the defendant’s credibility
- The overall strength of your liability case
- Pain and suffering
By hiring a Maryland truck accident attorney to legally represent you in court, the circumstances of your pain and suffering will be clearly explained to the jury in a way that maximizes your potential verdict.
However, some of the factors that insurance company software will take into account and assess monetary value to include the following:
- The severity of the accident and resulting injuries
- Medical records proving that your injuries resulted from the accident
- Lost wages resulting from the truck accident
- The location of the accident
- The location where the trial is scheduled to occur
- Any other pertinent data provided to the insurance company by your attorney
A reputable, experienced Maryland truck accident attorney will know exactly which details to provide to the defendant’s insurance company, as well as how best to present them. Although the insurance company may offer you a small settlement in the immediate aftermath of your accident, your attorney will fight to raise the settlement value between that date and the date of your trial. In many cases, this may result in the settlement value increasing. This holds particularly true if the insurance company finds that your lawyer has a history of not accepting initial settlement offers and bringing the case closer to or all the way to trial.
Average Settlement Amounts in Maryland Truck Accident Lawsuits
As you can see, an enormous variety of factors are examined by both insurance companies and juries when determining the value of a Maryland truck accident settlement. However, a few statistics can give you a basic idea of where to place your expectations, at least at a bare minimum.
The median settlement in Maryland specifically is closer to $13,000, with an average settlement just under $12,000.
An average settlement of $12,000 may seem low, especially if your accident involved serious, permanent injuries, prolonged pain and suffering, wage losses and enormous medical bills. However, it’s important to remember that this figure is significantly deflated by accidents in which only minor injuries and minimal property damage occur, as well as by inexperienced or non-litigating attorneys who accept initial settlement offers rather than fighting to have the settlement amount increased. Although this process is more time-consuming, it also results in significantly larger rewards.
By hiring a licensed, experienced Maryland truck accident attorney with a solid track record of success, you’ll have the best possible chance of receiving a settlement several times larger than the Maryland average, even if it means taking your case all the way to trial.